Friday, December 30, 2011

Pigpen's Apartment Solo Acoustic Demos 19??


Here we have some four track recordings from Ron "Pigpen" McKernan. Many know of Pigpen as a member of The Grateful Dead. He was an integral part of their blues background. And this recording exemplifies that to the fullest. There is a lot of debate as to when these recording were made. Many believe that most were recorded in the early 70's. Pigpen was working on a solo album during that time, before his untimely death.  There are some real strong tracks on this demo. It's just Ron and his guitar and harmonica. It's down and dirty blues, like only Ron could do. The recording has a bit of weather to it. A bit of tape hiss, and other anomalies.  This to me just gives it more appeal. It's part of the music, giving these blues songs, character and life. In no way does it take away from the music. If you are a blues fan, and or Deadhead. You should check this out.

Track list:
01. Two Women
02. Michael
03. Katie Mae
04. New Orleans > That Train
05. Instrumental
06. Bring me my Shotgun
07. C.C. Rider
08. Katie Mae
09. Hitchhiking Woman
10. Two Women
11. When I Was a Boy
12. Bring me my Shotgun
13. I Believe
14. She's Mine
15. No time
16. Sweet Georgia Brown > Betty and Dupree

Tracks 13 -15 are Pigpen's final recordings, 3\9\1973
Track 16 is Pigpen and Jorma, 1964

No comments: